What is bluesign® and why does it matter?
At Osprey, we strive to not only be innovators of high-quality products, but responsible citizens who tread lightly as we cherish the world in which we live, work and play.
There may not be a single lab coat in our closets — more like tech tees and flannel — but chemistry plays a significant role in what we do, from dyes to DWR and beyond.
The bluesign® System helps us promote, adopt and implement safe chemistry and responsible practices throughout our supply chain so we can be better stewards, from the resources we use to the people we encounter and the environments we influence.
BLUESIGN® SYSTEM PARTNERS SINCE 2021
SIGNING ON AS A BLUESIGN® SYSTEM PARTNER IN 2021 HELPED US TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT OUR PRODUCTION VALUES AND IMPLEMENT GUIDELINES TO ENSURE EACH STEP OF A PRODUCT’S LIFECYCLE IS SAFER AND MORE SUSTAINABLE, FROM THE ENVIRONMENT TO WORKERS TO YOU.
- bluesign® makes sure safe chemicals are used from the very first stage of textile production, and throughout the entire textile supply chain, through the Input Stream Management system.
- bluesign® is built on a chemical inventory and management database encompassing over 20 years of research.
- bluesign® experts help partners navigate their chemical usage and offer trusted transparency for brands and consumers.
THROUGH SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- bluesign® System Partners are duty-bound to provide a safe workplace for employees.
- bluesign® System Partners confirm compliance with principles and rights at work from selected International Labour Organization conventions.
- bluesign® System Partners must apply chemical change management, excellent process control and follow restrictions and bans for substances in chemical products to ensure the best possible consumer safety.
Basically, the bluesign® team’s textile experts came alongside our pack making processes to help us identify and uphold stringent standards for chemical safety and worker welfare.
YOU CAN MAKE SURE THE GEAR YOU CARRY HITS THE BAR THEY SET—AND SUPPORT THE MARKET FOR MORE SUSTAINABLE GOODS—BY SHOPPING FOR PRODUCTS WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING DESIGNATIONS:
bluesign® Approved Materials
Textiles and accessories carrying the bluesign® approved label meet the strict safety and environmental requirements of the bluesign® criteria.
• Avoids harmful substances that may pose a risk to people and the environment at each step of the supply chain
• Ensures approved chemical products and raw materials are used throughout the value chain
• Guarantees a high level of consumer safety
• Promotes responsible use of resources
If at least 90% of the components of a textile product bear the bluesignapproved label, the product receives the label bluesign® Product.
- Only materials that meet the rigorous standards of the bluesign® system are used
- Production resources are used responsibly
- Working conditions are safer and international human rights are respected
- A controlled environmental impact reduction program is in place considering water, soil and air
This standard means that environmental and social considerations have gone into the selection of every product detail, from tip to toe.
SHIFTING MAIN BODY PANELS AND LINERS TO BLUESIGN® APPROVED FABRIC WAS A KEY FIRST STEP TOWARD LESSENING OUR IMPACT. TODAY A VAST MAJORITY OF OUR PRODUCTS USE BLUESIGN® APPROVED FABRIC, DISCLOSED ON OUR PRODUCT PAGES AND HANGTAGS.
Percentage of textile products with
bluesign® approved main body fabric
* Percentages are based on the number of styles offered for a particular season
Beginning in 2022, we released our first bluesign® product, the TalonTM Earth 22, which helped establish a more rigorous, holistic application of the bluesign® criteria. Since then, we've applied those standards to a growing list of bluesign® products across each category of our business.
As we continue designing high-quality, innovative products for the outdoors, travel and everyday use, we will also carry on our commitment to reducing environmental impacts and producing more sustainable products. bluesign® is a key partner in that effort.